|A means to gather qualitative information from a group of people within an organization.
Purpose a Workshop
Included below are some of the merits/values ofa workshop:
Types of Workshop
Listed below are some of the different types of workshops, each of which has its own corresponsding process.
- Current State Analysis Workshop
- Future State Visioning Workshop
- Risk Workshop
- Level of Service Workshop
- Strategy Workshiop
Applications of the Workshop
Listed below are some of the primary applications of workshops:
Listed below are some guidelines for determing the quantity and profile of persons to attend a workshop:
- The limiting size/capacity of the venue(s) - seating, etc.
- The number of core team members
- The need for a sample from both a vertical and horizontal cross section of the organization
- The theme of the workshop session(s) - requiring subject matter experts
- The number of separate workshop sessions
- The time of day of the workshop session(s)
- The geographical distribution of the attendants - ie. how far do they need to travel
- Individuals who are engaged and will share their thoughts and opinions
- Pay special attention to any department or individuals who may be feeling disenfranchised or struggling with an understanding of the project objectives
- The simultaneous demands of other projects/programs occuring during the workshop session
- The number of staff on vacation at the time of the workshop
- Check with the project sponsor for their suggestions
Included below are some of the key steps in conducting an effective workshop:
A. Before the Workshop
B. Morning of the Workshop
- Determine who will be the workshop facilitator
- Identify the organization's knowledge resources
- Workshops are best served by staff who have experiential knowledge.
- Determine the appropriate cross-section of participants (horizontal and vertical cross-sections)
- Establish a convenient date
- Do any necessary research about the organization and/or department
- Compile the workshop materials - poster boards, dots, etc.
- Gather the people
C. During the Workshop
- Set up the room (chairs and tables) in the appropriate arrangement
- Check AV is working properly
- Check HVAC is working properly
- Confirm safety evacuation procedures and washrooms
D. After the Workshop
- Introduce the participants
- Confirm the target outcomes (purpose) of the workshop
- Conduct icebreaker activity
- Establish the rules of the workshop (cell phones, etc)
- Conduct the workshop activities
- Elicit their tacit knowlege
- Communicate the knowledge
- Analyze the results
- Share the results
- Act upon the results
Listed below are some common facilitation techniques that are used at workshops
- Post-it notes
- Coloured dots - dotmocracy
Fig. Workshops help to elicit qualitative data within the organization, such as weightings for decision criteria.
Fig. Making inevitable trade-offs and finding consensus with different stakeholder groups.
The journey to asset management maturity may sometimes feel like a maze. Workshops can help clarify the journey.
Fig. A workshop may sometimes feel like a knot that needs to be
untied. Workshops can help unravel knots.
Fig. It all starts with people.