|A key component of an asset management roadmap and a change management plan.
Purpose of the Initiatives
Listed below are some of the primary functions of the improvement initiative(s):
Components of the Initiatives
Listed below are the key components that should be included in any improvement initiative.
- Links to a standard
- The gap(s) to be filled by the initiative
- Scope of the initiative
- Benefits of the initiative
- Gantt to implement the initiative
- Links to the standard
Artifacts of Initiatives
Listed below are some of the artificacts associated with improvement initiatives.
- The Asset Management Objectives - This idenfies the targets to be met by the initiatives and articulates the desired Future State (to-be)
- The List of Improvement Initiatives - This provides a register of the initiatives.
- Urgency and Level-of-Effort Matrix - This provides a form of sensitivity analysis to establsih which artificats have the best bang for their buck.
- The Matrix of Improvement Initiatives - This artificat identifies the interrelationships and interdependencies between the individual initiatives.
- The Gantt/Schedule for the Initiatives - This artifact identifies the milestones along the journey.
- The RACI Team for the Initiatives - This identifies the individuals and deparments that are responsible for implementing the initiatives.
Process of Developing Initiatives
Listed below are the key steps in developing a suite of improvement initiatives
- Conduct a Current State (as-is) analysis to establish the baseline data
- Conduct best practice research to determine the benchmarks to be used
- Identify the desired future state (to-be) based on existing objectives
- Conduct a Gap Analysis
- Develop individual initiatives to close the gaps identified in the gap analysis
- Prepare a matrix of initiatives to identify the interdependencies between the initiatives
- Develop a schedule for implementation of the initiatives
- Action the initiatives in the roadmap
- Set the appropriate budget to support the roadmap
- Assign a suitably qualified team to execute the initiatives
- Track and measure progress/performance of the individual initiatives
- Review and update/refine the roadmap and/or individual improvement iinitiatives
- Conduct an audit
conformity certification to demonstrate that the initiatives have been
implemented and the gaps have been successfully closed
Fig. The journey to asset management maturity may sometimes feel like a maze.
Fig. The journey to asset management maturity may sometimes feel like a knot that needs to be untied.
The maturity spectrum of asset
management where conformity to ISO 55001 is approximately mid-way along
Fig. There are many benefits to implementing an asset management system in accordance with the requirements of ISO 55001.